The Court of Public Opinion is a place where readers are welcome to debate all sides of the day's issue.
Toronto mayor Rob Ford would be the first to admit that he is far from perfect. In fact, the scandal-plagued mayor wears his flawed, every-man persona like a badge of honour. From admitted crack use to lewd public comments about women, the only type of major scandal Ford has managed to avoid, so far, is a spending scandal.
Enter embattled Brampton Mayor Susan Fennell. For the last several months, Fennell has been the subject of intense media scrutiny for alleged lavish travel spending on the taxpayers' dime.
Both Ford and Fennell are up for re-election this fall and both may end up on the outs with voters due to the scandals that have plagued them. This week, CoPO asks: would a female politician survive the types of scandals Ford has faced?
Rob Ford scandals
• Oct. 2010: Elected mayor of Toronto
• Nov. 2012: Ordered out of office by Ontario judge over conflict of interest violation (he later appealed the decision and won)
• May 2013: Toronto Star and Gawker.com report viewing video showing Ford smoking what appears to be crack; Ford denies allegations
• Oct. 2013: Toronto Police reveal they have viewed infamous "crack video" and that Ford was subject of police investigation
• Nov. 2013: Admits to having smoked crack, likely during a "drunken stupor"
• Nov. 2013: Makes lewd comments in response to allegations that he had been intimate with former advisor Olivia Gondek ("It says I wanted to eat her pussy and I have never said that in my life to her...I'm happily married and I've got more than enough to eat at home.")
• Mar. 2014: Is reported to have made racist comments about his constituents ("Nobody sticks up for people like I do, every f---ing k—e, n----r, f---ing w-p, d-go, whatever the race. Nobody does. I'm the most racist guy around. I'm the mayor of Toronto") and lewd comments about his wife ("You can f--- her if you want, in front of me") fresh off his appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live
• Apr. 2014: Takes leave of absence to go to rehab amidst reports of a new video showing him smoking crack as recently as April 26, 2014
Susan Fennell scandals
• Nov. 2000: Elected mayor of Brampton
• Feb. 2008: Charged over $9,500 to city credit card during trip to Miami
• Feb. 2011: Charged over $10,000 in travel expenses to Whistler, Saskatoon and the Philippines
• Jan. 2012 to Dec. 2013: Expenses billed to the city, including on-call driver and luxury SUV, total $410,000
• Mar. 2014: Documents reveal Fennell requested to suspend her pay for November and December 2013
• Apr. 2014: Audit of Fennell's and councillor's expenses by Deloitte Canada under way
Vote in the poll on the right side of the page or leave your comments below in the Comments Section.
The Court is in session.