3 more sex assault charges against Jian Ghomeshi
|
Bookmark and Share
Jan 08, 2015  |  Vote 0    0

3 more sex assault charges against Jian Ghomeshi

Disgraced former CBC Radio host is out in bail on sexual assault charges

OurWindsor.Ca

Jian Ghomeshi is now facing three new charges of sexual assault related to three more women in addition to four previously laid charges of sexual assault and one charge of choking.

On Thursday morning, Ghomeshi strode into the College Park courthouse flanked by his lawyers.

The former CBC host made no eye contact with the media filling the packed courtroom, sitting slightly hunched over in his chair, hands tightly clasped together.

Ghomeshi will plead not guilty to all charges, his lawyer Marie Henein said. “Anything we have to say will be said in court.”

He will make his next court appearance on Feb. 4.

Ghomeshi, 47, was originally charged with four counts of sexual assault and one of overcome resistance choking. He was released on bail after appearing in court on Nov. 26. His lawyer said at the time he expected to plead not guilty.

One of the complainants is Trailer Park Boys actress Lucy DeCoutere. The other women have their identities protected by a publication ban.

The three new alleged sexual assaults took place in August 2002, July 2003 and February 2008. The alleged 2002 sexual assault took place in Owen Sound, the other two in Toronto.


 

Ghomeshi was arrested in November and charged with four counts of sexual assault and one count of overcome resistance (choking).

He was released on $100,000 bail and ordered to live with his mother in Thornhill while awaiting trial. Henein, told reporters at the time that her client would be pleading not guilty.

Ghomeshi's mother, acting as his surety, was also present in the courtroom during the 10-minute appearance. His bail was amended to prohibit him from contacting or going with 500 metres of the three new complainants.

The former voice behind CBC Radio’s Q was fired by the public broadcaster in October.

The Toronto Star has interviewed a number of women who said Ghomeshi was violent with them without their consent during sexual encounters.

Toronto Star

|
Bookmark and Share

(0) Comment

Join The Conversation Sign Up Login

In Your Neighbourhood Today

SPONSORED CONTENT View More