Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair is staying silent on the investigation into sexual assault allegations against former CBC radio host Jian Ghomeshi, but is continuing to assure victims of sexual assault they would be treated with respect if they decide to come forward.
“I can tell you that a number of people have come forward, but all updates that will subsequently come with respect to that investigation will come from our sex crimes unit,” he told reporters at police headquarters Tuesday morning.
Blair wouldn’t confirm how many victims have come forward in the Ghomeshi case so far. The Toronto Star reported three people had brought allegations against Ghomeshi to police as of Saturday.
Blair referred not only to alleged victims associated with the Ghomeshi investigation, but also to any victim of sexual assault when he said the police force respects the decision to remain silent or to come forward.
“If they come forward to the police, they will be treated with respect, they will be treated professionally and they will be treated with care,” Blair said.