Here’s what we know this morning about the Ottawa shootings:
1. Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, a reservist from Hamilton who was standing guard at the National War Memorial, was shot Wednesday morning and died in hospital. He was 24. A second soldier, Cpl. Branden Stevenson, escaped unscathed.
2. The shooter has been identified by a security source as Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, a 32-year-old Canadian with a criminal record dating back to 2001. He died after being shot near the doors of the Library of Parliament by Kevin Vickers, a decorated RCMP veteran serving as sergeant-at-arms.
3. Shots were fired at the War Memorial and inside Parliament. Despite police activity at the Rideau Centre and the Chateau Laurier, no shots were fired at those locations.
4. Three other people were treated at the Ottawa Hospital Civic Campus after the shootings for minor, non-life-threatening injuries.
5. Ottawa police are “satisfied” that there was only one shooter.