OTTAWA - Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent, 53, had been a member of the Canadian military for 28 years when he died Monday after being hit by a car driven by a suspected homegrown terrorist.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper said Vincent had provided “distinguished service” in the military.
“He served all across the country. Obviously, our thoughts and prayers are with his family members, his friends, and his colleagues,” Harper said during question period Tuesday.
The Canadian military said Tuesday Vincent had been a member of Joint Personnel Support Unit at the Integrated Personnel Support Centre in St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Que., an office run by the departments of defence and veterans affairs that help injured veterans and current soldiers, as well as their families, access support services from the federal government.
The attack occurred in the parking lot outside the centre.
Vincent had been with the regular force since May 1986.
His career as a firefighter brought him to military bases across the country, serving in Halifax, Valcartier, Que., Montreal, Trenton, North Bay, Edmonton, Comox, B.C. and Esquimalt, B.C.
“Our hearts go out to the family, friends and colleagues of the member and the Canadian Armed Forces are supporting them in their time of grief,” Chief of the Defence Staff Gen. Tom Lawson said in a statement Tuesday.
The military said it would not comment further on the investigation by the Sûreté du Québec.
- With files from Alex Boutilier